(ORANGE COUNTY, Calif.) — A California man accused of murdering four homeless people is now being charged with two additional murders — that of a woman who was stabbed more than 30 times, and her son, who was stabbed more than 60 times.
Itzcoatl Ocampo, 23, a former Marine, will be charged Monday with six felony counts of murder, according to Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas. The charges include the fatal stabbings of Raquel Estrada, 53, and her son, 34-year-old Juan Herrera, last October, and four homeless men in Orange County in the past two months.
The four homeless men were stabbed numerous times, just as Estrada and her son were.
Ocampo is being held without bail and is scheduled to be arraigned Monday, Feb. 6. If convicted, he faces a minimum sentence of life in state prison without the possibility of parole and will be eligible for the death penalty, the OCDA said.
Estrada’s son, Eder Herrera, was previously accused of murdering his mother and brother. He had been arrested after a witness told police he thought he saw Eder Herrera at the crime scene.
The charges were dropped and Herrera was released from jail Friday afternoon due to the new evidence in the case, Rackauckas said Friday evening at a press conference.
But Orange County Sheriff’s Lt. Gary Strachan told ABC News Saturday that Eder Herrera is on “immigration hold” and was transferred to the custody of Immigration and Customs Enforcement and is now in a federal detention facility.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio