Geer Services, Inc.
Claude Nolan
Underwoods
Geer Services, Inc.
San Marco Properties
Charles Parish
Geer Services, Inc.
Geer Services, Inc.
Apr 242013
 

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(GREAT NECK N.Y.) — A man who claims to be a former intern for the Romney presidential campaign has been arrested and charged with cyber stalking and Internet extortion after he allegedly obtained nude pictures of 15 women illegally and threatened to make them public.

Adam Savader, 21, of Great Neck, N.Y., was arrested by U.S. Marshals Tuesday and booked into the Nassau County jail, according to a jail spokeswoman. He is being held without bail.

If convicted, Savader may face up to five years in prison, according to a statement from the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Eastern District of Michigan, which is prosecuting the case.

According to the criminal complaint, Savader anonymously contacted 15 women via text message through a string of Google voice phone numbers. In his messages, he told the women — many of them college students — he had obtained nude pictures of them and threatened to send them to their parents and friends if they did not comply with his requests to send him more lewd photographs, the complaints states.

He reportedly proved to some of the women he had gotten a hold of their private pictures by posting them online to public photo sharing websites, the complaint stated.

He also threatened that he was going to send some of the victims’ revealing pictures to the Republican National Committee, according to the complaint.

On his LinkedIn profile , Savader identified himself as a former vice presidential operations intern at Romney for President in Boston, as well as a special assistant to the chief operating officer of Newt Gingrich’s 2012 campaign in Arlington, Va. Attempts to verify Savader’s titles were not successful, but his Facebook page includes photos of him with Romney and Gingrich.

“If we don’t have a deal I will send the pictures to those people. Is that what u want? remember what’s at stake. do u want ur family and everyone in DC to see ur [breasts]? Just agree to e-mail me a pic of u in ur bra [sic],” he texted one woman, according to the complaint.

Many of Savader’s victims told authorities they had nude pictures on their personal email accounts that had been password protected, which Savader allegedly hacked into. Some said they received notifications that their passwords had been changed before receiving threats from Savader, the complaint stated.

Savader began contacting women from September 2012 to February 2013, according to the complaint. He allegedly used the alias “John Smith” to contact these women. “John Smith” never spoke to them over the phone, only through text messages.

Authorities were able to link some of the Google Voice accounts Savader used to his IP addresses and personal cell phone account, registered in his father’s name, the complaint read.

The case was brought to the attention of the FBI by detectives from the Ann Arbor Police Department who received a complaint from one of the victims, the U.S. Attorney’s Office news release stated.

At least four of the women attended the same university as Savader in Michigan, the complaint stated. Other women who were allegedly blackmailed by Savader lived in Detroit, Washington, D.C. and Long Island, N.Y., according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office’s press release.

The criminal complaint against Savader was filed on April 17 by an FBI agent in Detroit. The warrant for Savader’s arrest was issued on April 22, according to the court docket.

Attempts to reach Savader’s attorney, Michael Soshnick, were not successful.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Mar 252013
 

SAEED KHAN/AFP/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — If only Mitt Romney had had a few thousand more Twitter followers and Facebook friends, the 2012 election might have turned out differently.

So say Bret Jacobson and Ian Spencer, millennial techies and co-founders of the conservative digital strategy group Red Edge. The high-tech entrepreneurs believe the failed GOP presidential nominee could have defeated President Obama simply with a better showing on social media.

“If you had run a really competent, really aggressive digital campaign, you probably could have won an Electoral College vote,” says Jacobson of the 2012 election. “The difference is roughly 450,000 in a couple swing states and you could more than make up for that difference.”

These are the bold claims from a dynamic duo that is leading the charge for a Republican Party reboot. Jacobson and Spencer say they are convinced that despite previous failed attempts, the party can surpass Democrats’ social media machine by the 2016 presidential race.

The Obama campaign was “incredibly good at empowering people to receive and share information” on the web, Facebook in particular, which allowed the organizers and fundraisers to build individualized voter profiles based on people’s profile information, Jacobson says.

“They were able to specifically reach out and…help identify these people who need to register to vote,” he says. “And it turns out that after a million people logged in, they actually yielded a million real world voter registrations and votes from those people, which is really powerful stuff.”

For Republicans to match, the Red Edge guys want an extreme makeover: bringing “Internet culture into the Republican culture,” and ultimately tapping a tech-savvy candidate who can build a strong digital following.

Who among early 2016 candidates has an early edge? “Rand Paul,” says Spencer of the Kentucky Republican senator.

“In terms of the grassroots support his father [Ron Paul] has enjoyed, many of whom also support him, I think he’s in a kind of unique position to really make some waves online…because there’s so many small dollar donors who, who went to Ron and who may now go to Rand,” he said.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Mar 142013
 

JEWEL SAMAD/AFP/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) — Mitt Romney may have lost the presidency because he offended a bartender.

In his public debut on MSNBC’s The Ed Show, bartender Scott Prouty revealed that he filmed the famous “47 percent” video of Romney at a closed-door fundraiser in May 2012 and leaked it to Mother Jones magazine’s David Corn, who posted it in September.  It was a move, Prouty said, intended to capture the most attention possible.

Until now, Prouty’s identity has been hidden.  It’s been known that president Jimmy Carter’s grandson, James, facilitated the story, putting the unidentified, surreptitious filmer in contact with Corn.  It’s now known that Prouty contacted Carter after seeing Carter’s contributing byline on a Corn story about GlobalTech, the Chinese appliance manufacturer Romney mentioned at the fundraiser.

Prouty explained why he leaked the video.

“The people that were there [at the fundraiser], they paid $50,000 per person for dinner,” he told MSNBC’s Ed Schultz in an exclusive interview.

“You know, I grew up in a blue-collar area in Boston, and nobody I know can afford to pay $50,000 for dinner,” Prouty said.  “I just don’t know anybody that can do that and, in a way, I just felt like, if you’re a Republican or a Democrat, there’s a lot of people that can’t afford to pay $50,000 for one night, one dinner, and I felt an obligation for all the people who can’t afford to be there.”

Prouty, who worked on the catering staff at the Romney fundraiser, said he didn’t originally intend to leak the video when he began recording it.

“I had brought the camera, and a lot of other people brought cameras thinking that people would take pictures, like he did in the past, coming back with the staff and taking pictures,” he said.  “I was interested to hear what he had to say, but I didn’t go there with a grudge against Romney.”

But when Romney made his now-infamous “47 percent” remark, Prouty said, that’s when he made sure his camera was capturing it because he wanted everyone to hear Romney’s words, unvarnished.

Romney told donors that 47 percent of voters would chose Obama “no matter what” because they are people “who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it.  That that’s an entitlement.  And the government should give it to them.  And they will vote for this president no matter what. … These are people who pay no income tax.”

“My job is not to worry about those people,” Romney said.  “I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.”

Prouty, who described himself as a bartender who lives a comfortable life but struggles like everyone else, said the decision to leak the recording was daunting.

“Why am I gonna do this, why am I gonna risk everything?  Should I risk everything, should I put myself in jeopardy, should I put myself in legal jeopardy?” Prouty said he asked himself before handing the video over to Corn.

But he wanted voters — particularly middle-class voters like himself — to hear Romney’s private words and judge for themselves, Prouty told Schultz.

“Everybody needed to hear that,” he said.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Mar 032013
 

Justin Sullivan/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — A reflective Mitt Romney Sunday blamed his loss in the presidential election last November to his inability to connect with minorities, and the former Republican nominee admitted to Fox News’ Chris Wallace that it still “kills him” not to be in Washington.

“We did very well with the majority population but not with the minority populations and that was a real failing, that was a mistake,” said Romney, when asked why he believes he lost the White House last fall.

“We didn’t do as good a job as connecting with that audience as we should have,” he added.

Romney, joined by his wife Ann for portions of the wide-ranging interview that aired Sunday morning on Fox News Sunday, has spent most of the four months since Election Day out of the public eye, tucked away in his California home.

In this interview, his first since losing to President Obama, the former Massachusetts governor who received just 47 percent to the president’s 51 percent of the vote, spoke candidly about his disappointment on election night.

Romney said it was a “slow recognition” that he’d lost the campaign, but when Florida was reported to be a close race — a state his campaign thought they’d win easily — he began to realize his odds of winning were waning.

“We were convinced we would win,” Romney said. “My heart said we were going to win.

“It’s hard, it’s emotional,” he said. “There was such passion in the people who were helping us, I just felt we’d really let them down.”

Ann Romney added that she cried on election night, and though she described herself as being “mostly over” the loss, she confessed that she still cries.

“I mourn the fact that he’s not [in the White House],” she said. “I totally believe if Mitt were there in the office we would not be facing sequestration.”

Romney, who taped the interview in the San Diego home of his youngest son Craig earlier in the week, said bluntly, “I still care,” when asked what life is like watching business in Washington go on without him.

“I wish I were there,” he said. “It kills me to not be there, to not be in the White House doing what needs to be done.”

Romney said he does not see the “kind of leadership” that he believes the country needs and he thinks the current financial crisis is a “huge opportunity.”

“The hardest thing about losing is watching this critical moment, this golden moment, just slip away with politics,” he said, referring to the debate over sequestration.

“Come on guys,” Romney said, directing his remarks to those in office. “Focus on getting America through a difficult time and on the track to remain the most powerful and strong nation in the history of the earth and put people back to work.”

As for Romney’s infamous “47 percent” comments, in which the presidential candidate was surreptitiously filmed at a fundraiser essentially writing off a large portion of Americans as “completely wrong,” the former nominee said his remarks undoubtedly contributed to the failure of his campaign.

“It’s not what I meant. I didn’t express myself as I wished I would have,” he said. “You know when you speak in private you don’t spend as much time thinking about how something could be twisted and distorted and could come out wrong and be used.

“It was very harmful,” he said. “There’s no question that it hurt and did damage to my campaign.”

And about that embrace between New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie — considered to be one of Romney’s most powerful backers during the election — and Obama just a week before Election Day during a tour of Hurricane Sandy damage?

“I don’t think that’s why the president won the election,” Romney said, explaining that he does not blame Christie for his loss.

“I’m not going to blame Chris,” he said. “I lost my election because of my campaign, not because of what anybody else did.”

As for what’s next for the Romneys, both told Wallace that they’re enjoying spending time with at least one of their 20 grandchildren every day. They’ve started a foundation, The Romney Foundation for Children, that will serve to help poor children, and Romney said he hopes to still have some role in the Republican party, but notes that nobody wants to — or should want to — listen to a losing candidate.

“As the guy who lost the election, I’m not in a position to tell everyone else how to win,” he said. “I don’t have the credibility to do that anyway, but I still care.”

Romney is slated to deliver his first public address March 15 in Washington D.C. during the Conservative Political Action Conference.

“I’m not going to disappear,” Romney said. “But I care about America. I care about people who can’t find jobs.”

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Mar 012013
 

Justin Sullivan/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) — Mitt and Ann Romney will appear in a pre-taped interview on Fox News Sunday airing March 3, marking the first TV appearance by Mitt since the 2012 Republican presidential nominee conceded the election in the early morning hours of Nov. 7.

Among other things, anchor Chris Wallace asked the couple about their lives over the past four months after having been in the media spotlight since Mitt announced his intention to seek the GOP nod in June 2011.

Mitt tells Wallace, “We were on a roller coaster, exciting and thrilling, ups and downs.  But the ride ends, and then you get off.  And it’s not like, ‘Oh, can’t we be on a roller coaster the rest of our life?’  It’s like, ‘no, the ride’s over.’”

Ann equated the experience to the couple’s work for the Mormon Church, having been in high positions of power and then “you’re released and you’re nobody…it was an amazing thing, and it was really quite a lot of energy and a lot of passion and a lot of — a lot of people around us and all of a sudden, it was nothing.”

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio